Saturday 20 July 2013

Behold an open mind!!


Have you ever been around a certain type of person who are very set in their ways with just about everything in their lives pretty much exactly the same week in week out, from the clothes they wear to the same hairstyle. Even the places or things they do in their spare time. Well I was one of those people as was my husband until we started slowly in small steps began to be that bit more open minded!!

Over the last few weeks I seem to have had more confidence about myself and had feelings of nice continuous happiness for a change which seems to have grown from opening my mind up. I always thought I was good at making a choice or having a nice variety of things until one day when I looked at myself in the mirror and was so shocked at the reflection staring back. The clothes on me were just plain and boring but safe, my hair the same as always and my makeup (a slick of foundation). I just looked like I had had the life sucked out of me. That moment a little switch flicked on and when it came to my next shopping trip (conveniently my birthday), I decided that this was the time to be open minded and dare to try different things that wouldn't be my 'norm' .
It turned out to be a lot of fun and very surprising. I suddenly was the owner of clothes that were of different colours and styles. I even dared to buy 2 lipsticks (this stuff normally scares me!) I normally go on these kind of trips with a one track mind of "oh that will never look nice on me" or "I don't do colours especially with lippy" I can't tell you how frustrating those trips were on my poor suffering Husband and my Mum and Sister. But also on myself, every time I would come home feeling more rubbish than I when I set off. But stepping outside the comfort zone and trying things I would never dare to before has created a new turning point to which has now spread to other aspects of life including work.

I think we all can be guilty at some point in our lives of not having an open mind and immediately limiting ones own abilities of achieving anything wether it be big, small, competitively, or not being able to see different opinions as acceptable because our own narrow mindness has clouded that considerably to the point you end up sulking because it doesn't fit right with oneself.

Maybe in this day and age it would benefit more people/society/communities/politics to be more open minded about anything and everything. Ok so we all do like a good debate now and again but there's too much going on around the world to be tunnel visioned.

So how about you? Are you going to make a small step and try have more of an open mind?

Nikki.W

No comments:

Post a Comment